Breaking News

EXCLUSIVE: Karan Johar on unanimous positive reaction for Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani: “Everyone seeks that critical validation”

Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt’s Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani is creating the right kind of noise and receiving positive word of mouth from both critics and audiences. Helmed by Karan Johar, the film marks his 25th year in the film industry as a director. With the film collecting Rs. 52.92 crore in the first five days of its release, the makers are happy with the response of the film. In an exclusive conversation with Bollywood Hungama, Karan Johar sat down to talk about the unanimous response from critics and the audience, the messaging, and what the film has achieved.

Speaking about feeling relieved and happy, Karan Johar said, “Relieved because I was exceptionally stressed and happy with just all the love pouring in. For a filmmaker, I think all filmmakers just seek that kind of love and acceptance from an audience, from your fraternity. When both come in abundance, it just is a joyous feeling that is very difficult to articulate.”

Adding further, he said, “I feel like at least the people, who have messaged me have only messaged or called me reached out to me through platforms, even when I read comments, it's been such a barrage of positivity. The ones who may not have liked it have not reached out. I have not heard that. Because I remember specifically two movies both Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, both had polarized opinions. It went from extreme love to disdain, and for various reasons. There was a moral policing on one and on the other one, there was a divided house about the last act of the film. So I've seen that polarization and I've been through that feeling like, you meet somebody who says, ‘I loved it’ and I meet someone who says, ‘Why did you make it?’ I've seen that.”

Karan Johar said that with Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani, the positive reactions have been magnanimous. “But in this case, there's been just love it. I can't explain it. I'm kind of like, ‘Oh, my God!’, and I don't think a single film of mine has got this kind of critical acclaim. And all of us filmmakers, honestly, I want to say, the time you don't get the reviews, you say reviews don't matter. It's just a defence mechanism that all directors, filmmakers, producers, actors, we all say it doesn't matter, the audience is god. And it's all very well, but inside, everyone seeks that critical validation and gets it right. It made me very happy. I read every line of every review and I was like, ‘Wow, oh, even he liked it. She liked it. He liked it.’ I'm like, this is amazing. It's never happened to me. The film has got a resounding critical reaction as well, and I'm so heartened by the fact that the aspects of the film that came from within have resonated. And also columns have been written on the era and the subversive messaging. Well, it's not that I set out to make a film that has a broad messaging. I wanted it to come through within the narrative of an entertainer. That was very critical, but I feel all the things very strongly, but I felt I didn't want to make a film that was preaching. That was kind of like I wanted it to come through very organically, which is what I think has been achieved,” he said.

The film stars Dharmendra, Jaya Bachchan, Shabana Azmi, Tota Roy Chowdhury and Churni Ganguly. It was released in theatres on July 28, 2023.

Watch the interview:

ALSO READ: Karan Johar finally addresses the buzz surrounding Dharmendra and Shabana Azmi's kissing scene in Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani; says, “No questions asked”



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/W5GwdqM

No comments